Old 16-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jim W

Default Tilling - Double-Digging? Need Advice

Joe98 wrote:

But the rotted manure IS the compost, right? And is the two thirds compost
+ one third (peat moss) humus about right in your opinion?

Personally I wouldn't use peat moss, over here certainly it is a cause
for environmental concern. Its also pricy! Compost on its own should do
just fine. Yes rotted manure is a source of 'compost' but its not quite
the same as 'compost' if you see what I mean!

Fill first trench with soil from 2nd and continue this method across the
area to be dug.
When you reach end of the area you will have your soil from your
initial trench to fill in.

Lift the turf and stack upside down, covered under plastic. Next year
you will have a ready made loam pile for potting etc.

Hmm... What you suggest sounds like a good tip for making good loam, but
is that necessary? As I said, I have grass on the area designated for the
garden but it's spotty and useless as sod. In the process of the Double
Dig, I was planning to just work the grass into the mix. After I Double
Dig, I was planning to cover with plastic and leave it for all of winter.
Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? It would save some work,
which is important with old man winter coming around the corner.

Poss but the grass may regrow.. If you turn it over as sods though its
almost the same as stacking!-)

Depending on how cold you're winters get, you might consider a cover
crop instead. Grazing rye or Field beans ( an agricultural cultivar of
broad bean) are ideal and very hardy.

Similar thing as covering with placcy but looks nicer!-)

Snow lets through enough air and light and is naturally cold so
minimises growth. Black plastic only cuts out light and air.

Ah, I figured it was something like that. Thanks.

//
Jim

Thanks for your time and your advice Jim.

Oh, is there any kind of a generic calculation one can use for figuring how
much hummus and compost I'll need? I really don't know how much to get.
BTW, my book says to expect the soil to be built up about 3 inches, but it
seems like adding all that hummus and compost will raise it much more than
than. What do you think?

Dunno depends on how bad your soil is.. If you're doing a prime prep
and want to do it properly I'd reckon half to 1 barrow per m2. You'll be
surprised how quickly the soil resettles once the worms and soil
organisms start to further break down compost.. It may be raised at
first, but will soon go down. I know a guy who double digs manure into
his plot 'every year'!! Not required IMO, but he does grow good veg!-)
Mind you he also uses chem fertilisers.
//
Jim