Old 17-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Magpies

writes:
I have about 20 - 30 magpies now coming in and eating our new herb
garden. I
think they will also start eating the vegies when they are planted out. Is
there a way to get rid of them without harming them?

Thanks
Andre

Many here have suggested hanging CDs in trees to keep the birds away from
the fruit. Perhaps that would also work for you. Drive two metal fence
posts into the ground with a piece of rope or twine between them, and hang
the CDs on the rope/twine for the reflective effectiveness.

A woman reportedly found a plastic owl that she put in her garden that was
so realistic it kept all birds away,including the ones she wanted to come
in to her bird feeders.

The best thing about those two methods is that no critter or plant is
injured or in danger.

Glenna