Old 17-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Tim Challenger

Default GM crops giant Monsanto pulls out of Europe

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:22:11 -0400, LordSnooty wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:20:27 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:58:13 +0200, martin wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$FWR5QGCNKO04FQFIQMGSFGGAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2003/10/16/wmons16.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/10/16/ixnewstop.html

Good news for anti-GM-croppers, but bad news for all the people employed in
thier normal (ie non-GM) crop business and research.

Good riddance I say, maybe they'll get a decent job now, with ethics?

Monsanto employed most people in the normal plant-breeding and seed sales
business in Europe. They aren't wholly a GM-seed maker. Hopefully thier
regular seed business will be taken over by another company. They'll still
be selling Roundup of course, so they're not pulling out completely and
Roundup sales make them a pretty penny.

There is more to life than dollars.

Right. They're only pulling out because they can't make any money and want
to concentrate on other, more GM-freindly markets. It would be nice if they
were doing it because they'd seen the light. Oh well.
Still, I hope the company rots in hell, and that the employees all get
other jobs.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.