Old 17-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Tim Challenger

Default GM crops giant Monsanto pulls out of Europe

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:51:35 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

In message m, Tim
Challenger d writes
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:58:13 +0200, martin wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$FWR5QGCNKO04FQFIQ
MGSFGGAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2003/10/16/wmons16.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/10/1
6/ixnewstop.html

Good news for anti-GM-croppers, but bad news for all the people employed in
thier normal (ie non-GM) crop business and research.

Monsanto had it coming. They were far too arrogant and tried to force
their GM produce down everyone's throats.

It was the case involving a (I think) Canadian farmer who was prossecuted
for "growing" Monsanto seeds (Roundup Ready oilseed rape/canola) on his
land that really did it for me. Despite the fact that they were blown there
from neighbouring fields. He hadn't paid the growing licence, and so was
fined (a hefty whack, iirc). There were a few, er, inconsistencied, and I
suspect the farmer wasn't totally blame-free. Still, since then, Monsanto's
been a dirty work for me. It sums up the arrogant, bullying tactics of the
huge multinational corporations in general.

Funnily enough, and on-topic for uk.re.gardening, the farmer's name was
Percy Schmeiser, which in German - and allowing for variations in spelling
- is Percy Thrower. I wonder.....

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.