Old 17-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Jan Flora

Default Needles up the wha-zoo!!

In article , "AnonnyMoose"
wrote:

How can I use this stuff?

The needles are falling from the redwoods, cedar, Grand Fir, Douglas Fir and
Ponderosa Pine that grow in an island in my yard. The oak leaves are
starting to fall too. There is just too much to leave it all under the
trees. It will bury everything growing beneath! I'd like to leave some
under, but what can I do with the rest? We were blowing it all out and
tossing it, but that seems a waste of good material. I could mow it up with
the mulching blades and spread it around the other beds. Or should I stack
it all in a pile and compost it? Suggestions?

Karen

Boy, you *are* a long ways from home, darlin.'

Tom Bodett did a radio piece about yard care, when he moved from Homer, AK
to Whidbey Island a few years ago. As *you* know, all you need in Alaska for
yard care is a chainsaw and a weed whacker with a skil-saw blade on it. Tom
had to learn about lawn mowers and stuff when he moved down there.

Compost it. Hit the compost site that'll help you figure out how to balance
the greens & browns, so the compost will cook. (If I can do it, anyone can.
But I lost that website address when my good computer died. I think one of
the Pat's here knows the website.)

Jan

PS: We have snow in the forecast here on sat. night, Karen. I'm not ready.