Old 17-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Jock

Default millipedes killing my tree fern?

I thought millipedes only ate dead plant matter. Mulching too close to the
plant??
Jock

"Nick Cook" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a Cyathea Cooperi (sp?) that got a bit battered last summer and
lost quite a few fronds, as did all my other ferns (dicksonia, maiden
hair, birds nest).
It was a young plant without trunk yet and 4/5 fronds. I cut the burnt
ones off as they browned.
However, it never seemed to come back and produced some tiny fonds and
as they uncurled they were a bit floppy.
So one day I cleared the mulch around the base and there was a pile of
those common millipeds right next to it still quite small, so I'm
assuming they had something to do with the 'dwarfing' effect on this
fern. I see these all through the garden in ones or twos but this was
dozens in one place.
There is another tree fern next to Norfolk Is variety, like Cyathea just
a bit lighter shade fronds and it is doing fine. I also have Dicksonia
near as well. All were getting same watering.
Any ideas?

cheers Nick