Old 17-10-2003, 02:42 PM
animaux

Default Which fertilizer for Fall lawn care???

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:44:31 -0400, vincent p. norris opined:

Balanced fertilizer is no longer the most effective.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/greenhouse.htm

For some reason, I can't get that web site. But I have a a couple of
questions.

The word "balanced" traditionally has meant the same quantity of N,P,
and K, such as 5-5-5, 10-10-10, 20-20-20, and so forth. Is that
correct?

A year or so I read, somewhere, that the problem with that definition
of "balanced" is that plants don't need the same amounts of N, P, and
K. They need them in the ratio, IIRC, 5-2-3.

Is that also correct?

But would grass (and perhaps "foliage plants" need a different ratio
than plants that produce blossoms? or tomatoes?

(Is that what the web site is about? I'll keep trying to get it.)

Thanks. vince norris

I just tried the link and it worked fine for me.

Try this and navigate till you find the info on turf management:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen

Their study showed the ratio 8-2-4, which can also be 4-1 2 or 16-4-8. However,
most people over fertilize with highly soluble, synthetic nitrogen and it
leaches out of the soil rapidly and give no organic matter to the soil. Organic
fertilizers do add OM to the soil. People feed the turf, people in the organic
community feed the soil organisms which in turn feed the roots the available
elements in a much slower, gentler way.