Old 17-10-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Moving a conifer? (novice!)

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g2ytxa.aih5toau7x7wN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Flynn wrote:

I'm thinking of moving a conifer (I think its a leylandi) from its

present
position to one a few yards away (there's a couple of good reasons for
this); it's about 16ft high, 6ft broad.

Do those sizes give an indication of the root spread? How difficult is

it to
do this? What should I bear in mind? Am I mad?

Any advice gratefully received

Best identify it first.. If its a leyandii I'd say, just remove it and
plant a new one in the new posis. They are that cheap, and very fast
growing.

Its a big job, for conifers AFAIK, best done in spring. With a tree
that big though, conult someone who's 'into' conifers! (Not me!)

we got rid of some that big in the summer - tough job but do-able. Cut the
branches off, cut the top off leaving 5ft or so, then dug all round cutting
the roots as you go (all pretty much within 1ft of the surface), then push
the bugger over )