Old 01-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Shiva

Default More, Better Blooms!

Cass wrote:

Alfalfa, aka, rat food? I think it really does help root growth -
nothing else explains why some of my roses grow so well.

No doubt!! Mills Mix' main ingredient looks and smells to be alfalfa. The
second looks and smells to be sludge. The label lists both. I think both
are responsible for the great basals--and I hope good roots. I would love
to do as others do and make my OWN recipe with alfalfa, blood meal, etc.,
but don't have the time at the moment, and don't want the mess.

Is Mill's Magic water soluble so you can foliar feed? That works well
too.

Nope, it is all organic and chunky! I stopped using the water soluable
ones because they are such a pain to mix. What kind do you use, if I
change my mind and start up again so's I can foliar feed?

I think there's a lot of difference between different classes of roses.
If you want lots of blooms all the time, then you really need a few of
those repeaters that everyone raves about like Iceberg. [...] That's my

story and I'm sticking to it.

Okay, I buy it! But I do have a batch of Diva HTs coming in two weeks.
*Sigh* Guess I can't have it all, can I?

My theory: the only things that give more better blooms are optimal
genetics and optimal plant growth. The blooms are the consequence of
the first two. Optimal is not excessive rank growth from too much
nitrogen.

If the above is true, and I want to grow just the varieties I want to grow
NOT NECESSARILY based upon vigor--then I just have to keep feeding and
watering them well and wait until they get bigger. Think?