Old 17-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Favour for Fran

The message
from "pete" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Very well thanks, Pete.Since we last met here I've visited Oz (without
Mark and the canoe, but had a great time anyway) and John and I have
moved to the island of Arran off the Scottish west coast.

Janet.

You came to Oz? ... did ya visit South Aus?

We went to Darwin where our son was working, and had a trip round the
NT with him..then Cairns (Barrier reef, wow) and rainforest, then
Sydney, fast detour to Blue mountains and that was it..not nearly far
enough or long enough. We loved it all and were very amazed when Dan
(son) returned to the UK (chasing girldriend). They've since split up
and he's talking of going back..he loved working there.Youngest son is
setting off there in the new year to see it for himself :-)

and why didn't ya phone me?

(sob) I thought you had abandoned us for ever and ever; also, too busy
yakking on it to Fran :-)

... can ya knit me a sweater?

Aran sweaters = the Irish Aran island, with one R. Anyway, I can only
knit dishcloths. You wouldn't look your best in it even if I sewed
several dishcloths together.

Had a quick look at http://www.arran.uk.com/ looks like a great place.

Did you do anything different starting out in a new place with your
permaculture knowledge? ... I mean was it any easier knowing what you know
now than it was before you knew what you.......... you know what I
mean.............???

Well, this is only half an acre, was almost entirely grassed. I left
the chooks back at the last place as I consider that too small to let
them freerange and couldn't bear to restrict them to a run, though I'm
toying with the idea of a chicken pen with a tunnel leading into the
sheep meadow next door. I've used the pc cardboard and mulch system for
making new beds; and started a worm farm. Good first season in the veg
garden. But I have to confess this is not going to be a very pc garden
on account of the exotic plants I keep falling for. The climate is one
of the mildest in the UK and supports subtropical plants from NZ, South
Africa and S America, so I'm madly planting all sorts of non-native
decorative stuff.

What have you been up to? Have you still got pigs?

Janet