Old 17-10-2003, 10:32 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Which fertilizer for Fall lawn care???

Found this on the alfalfa meal:

Alfalfa Meal 2.5-1-1 =

Alfalfa Meal is a reasonable alternative to blood meal as a source of
nitrogen and is nicely balanced with phosphorous and
potassium. It's carbohydrates and protein make it
an excellent soil conditioner by encouraging microbial activity in the
soil. =

New Plantings: Mix 1/2 cup per plant into the soil.

Existing Plants: Mix 1/2 to 1 cup of Alfalfa Meal to a depth of 4-6
inches.

Beds: Work 2-5 lbs of Alfalfa meal into each 100 square feet of bed
area.

Guaranteed Analysis: =

Total Nitrogen (N) 2.5%
0.6% Water Soluble Natural Nitrogen
1.9% Water Insoluble Natural Nitrogen\
1.0% Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5)
1.0% Soluble Potash (K2O)
=

SC3158 Alfalfa Meal, 5 lb (7#) $8.95 =

SC3159 Alfalfa Meal, 25 lb. (27#) $16.90 =

SC3160 Alfalfa Meal, 50 lb. (52#) $21.00

JK

animaux wrote:
=

I've not seen it at Lowes here in this area of Austin...actually Round =

Rock.
I'll seek it out, but the alfalfa pellets are sold much cheaper at tack=

and feed
stores. It's virtually the same thing.
=

=

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:36:12 -0500, J Kolenovsky op=

ined:
=

On their website is a retailer dealer locator. Well, wouldn't you know=

it? I just clicked it and its in repair. Seems like Lowe's was one of
the retailers. The Texas rep is Greg Phillips: Fort Worth, Texas Phon=

e:
(817) 731-9141.

Less turf, more diversity. Yes!

JK

animaux wrote:

Actually, Bradfield is a terrific fertilizer. I used to be able to =

have access
to it up in the Dallas are, but I haven't found it anywhere in Austi=

n or
surrounding. Do you have a source in Austin?

I like it for a few reasons, but mainly for the material it's made o=

f. There is
so much organic matter in it, that it serves as both fertilizer and =

almost as a
compost top dress.

What I've done is to buy alfalfa hay, and pellets from the tack and =

feed store
and I've been using it on very sunny areas of turf. It's moot now b=

ecause all
of that turf is coming out in about a week. Less and less turf. I =

love that!

Victoria

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:54:49 -0500, J Kolenovsky =

opined:

An ORGANIC one.

These guys are out of Springfield, MO - http://www.bradfieldind.com=

/

JK

Chris Farmer wrote:

I am in the process of getting my lawn ready for winter and sprin=

g.

I plan to power rake the lawn to remove thatch,
Aerate with a rented machine
spread seed
and apply 1/4" or so of top soil

My question is which fertilizer is appropriate?

Winterizer or starter fertilizer for the seed?
The levels of nutrients vary greatly and I don't want to plant a =

bunch
of seed and use winterizer only have the seed suffer through a ha=

rsh
winter.

I live in MO, so we get into the single digits at times during wi=

nter.

Any advice would be appreicated

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP