Old 17-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Spider

Default gardening

I can't disagree in the slightest with Alan's response. However, to answer
your basic question, autumn is an excellent time for planting but as a
general rule of thumb, if you have a light soil autumn planting is great for
all things hardy and many bulbs; if you have a heavy soil, it is much safer
to wait until spring.

It's a good idea to visit the garden centre/local nursery every month to see
what's looking good. Also peer into local gardens and talk to neighbouring
gardeners.

If you can't wait to buy those lovely plants, why not start a small
collection of container plantings. Many will mature to go in the ground
later, giving you a head start on both stock and experience.
Spider
Alan Gould wrote in message
In article , amanda
writes
Hi
I have just moved house and have a good sized garden. I have no idea
what to plant - is this a bad time to year to plant anything? Can
anyone recommend any colourful plants i could buy?
Thank you

Don't be in a hurry Amanda - take your time getting to know your garden,
and letting it get to know you. Have a good tidy up, take off any
unwanted top herbage and begin a compost heap with it. Next spring, make
an early start (mid.Feb) with seeding or buying in plants recommended by
others in this group. Meantime, have a look at the urg. FAQ for new
gardeners at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/startingout.html

best wishes
--