Old 18-10-2003, 12:03 AM
LizR

Default OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:21:32 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

The message
from LizR contains these words:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

Oh, that's the lost art of cycling in the right gear! How much easier
on the eye it
is than those mountain bikers with their little-fat-legs flailing
round and round and
the bike scarcely moving up a slight incline. I don't really think you
should have
more gears than IQ points, do you?

Liz :-)

Not really, I used to race and the real trick is to use the gear which
you turn to a constant level. Your legs then are used to the revolution
and you suffer less fatigue.

That makes sense:-) The finer points of cycling were never as important to me as
speed and accuracy and expenditure of as little effort to that end as I could. Lazy
b*gger, me:-)

However, I do agree with the mountain
bikers who round here seem to want to ride on the smallest gear they
can. Legs going like a tazmanian devil.

I now have a mountain bike (in Lincs? what the hell was I eating that
day) with 27 gears (3 front and 9 back)

LOL!

I do tend to ride a large gear but thats my preference. I still dont match the crumblys tho.

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but, though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Liz