Old 18-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default OT - house spiders

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:50:53 +0100, Zipadee Doodar wrote:

I know they do no harm, and are almost mans' best friend but I hate them.
And in this house where we have lived for 2 years, they are enormous and
scare the compost out of me. Is there anything available to persuade them to
go away, or at least not to appear in the bathroom etc? I was thinking
something on the lines of those sonic cat scarers etc.

BTW I can handle them ok in the garden, just not in the house.

What, the sound of arachnids thundering across the floor doesn't
bring a twinge of joy to your heart? Good heavens.

Victoria here is a spider paradise, perhaps because our seaside
location keeps the humidity fairly high. It's nothing to have two
or three take up residence in the bedroom where they spend their
days more or less somnolent on the ceiling and prowl around at
night looking for prey. And to find a "big one" (big hairy
affair, long legs, up to 2" across, perhaps a Lycos species)
peering up at you from inside the bathtub is the small change of
domestic excitements.

The more tenderhearted sorts simply trap their domestic
co-vivants with a drinking glass and throw them outside.

I suggest two strategies:

(1) *thorough* vacuuming including all the little nooks and
crannies you usually don't trouble with.

(2) mothballs scattered in attics, cellars, and such to drive
them away. (I don't know if this actually works.)

Otherwise, buy a book on spider identification and take up a new
hobby. If you can't beat'em, join'em.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada