Old 18-10-2003, 01:42 AM
NetMax

Default Got my Guppies

"Carl Collins" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
.. .

"Carl Collins" wrote in message
Got 2 male guppies and 3 females and the buggers are at it already

;-)

How many fry should I be expecting from 1 female does anyone know

round
abouts?

Depends on the size of the females, but 20 to 30 every month would

not be
unreasonable to expect.

I have pulled some of the plastic plants out to let them float

which I
hear
should give them a better chance of survival..

AFAIK, they typically start dropping them near the surface early in

the
morning, but then might move around the tank as the day progresses.

I have 2 red finned sharks in the tank with a 4" Pl*co and some

swordtails
will everything be ok concerning the fry I mean the Pl*co shouldn't

give
them much trouble cuz he never comes out of hiding but it's the

sharks
that
are worrying me

Swordtails do excellent Guppy crowd-control.

I don't want crowd control :-(
I want lots of colurful guppies swimming round...
I will have to keep my swordtails away then rather than the sharks

then??
Does anyone know of a homemade erm baby guppy help to survive thingy

like a
seperator so they can survive form the hungry mouths of my swordtails??

I'm not sure how effective RT sharks are at 'crowd-control'. Swordtails
also eat their own fry, and Guppy fry are smaller than Swordtail fry,
ergo - their effectiveness at eating Guppy fry will be higher. Another
strategy is to use lots of plants and feed them well. Almost always,
statistically, some will invariably survive.

NetMax