Old 18-10-2003, 02:02 AM
George

Default Acorn in water

Thanks Iris,
It didn't look very healthy so I threw it out.

If acorns fall into water naturally and are allowed to die, I imagine
the same thing happens.

Do you know where the mold comes from and why it forms - does it eat
the acorn?

George

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
I placed an acorn in a cup of water a few weeks ago.
The water has decreased and turned orange and has globules.
The acorn is covered with a grey mold-like cover.

Acorns are not designed to germinate in water. The acorn has died and is moldy.
The water is probably full of bacteria.
If you want to geminate acorns, in fact most seeds, you will have to plant them
in soil.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."