Old 18-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Andrew G

Default Camelia cuttings

"Astounded" wrote in message
I have grown camellias from cuttings - straight in the ground. I didn't
think they would be a problem to strike. I planted in partial shade in the
garden after a prune and most cuttings took OK. The soil was very well
drained, so I kept them just moist.
Anyway, it is worth a try as it only costs you time. I have used honey to
aid with rooting - don't know if it helps, but I use it anyway. Good luck.
Regards
Phil J.

To add to what Astounded wrote they also take well in a propagation mix of 4
parts course sand, one part peat moss, seed raising mix, or a high quality
potting mix (potting mix being probably the easiest and cheapest), well
drained is a must.
Use an improvised glass house, simply made by cutting the bottom off a soft
drink bottle and placing over the cuttings, mist morning and afternoon, and
keep soil moist.
Try soft tip cuttings, or semi hardwood.
Use a hormone cutting powder, or vegemite apparently works well too.
That should all help.
Finally, I can't recall if it was Azaleas or Camellias, but I have heard
that one of the best times for one of them is between Christmas and New Year
to take cuttings.
Don't know why, but also worth a try
Good luck