Old 18-10-2003, 04:02 PM
dave

Default Magpies

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:34:27 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:09:26 -0700,
(Glenna
Rose) wrote:

Many here have suggested hanging CDs in trees to keep the birds away from
the fruit. Perhaps that would also work for you. Drive two metal fence
posts into the ground with a piece of rope or twine between them, and hang
the CDs on the rope/twine for the reflective effectiveness.

They will need to be replaced fairly often.

We did this - not to scare birds away but to warn my dogs
that there was an almost invisible fence around the garden -
I didn't want them slamming into it and breaking the fence
or hurting themselves when they run and play together.

The shiny part of the CDs wore away (rain? sun?) and they
are now just clear, and the CDs themselves are almost
invisible. It only took about three months for this to
happen.

(The dogs are OK without them now, we made other fencing
arrangements since then.)

Pat

Magpies, Crows, and Ravens are the most intelligent birds. Some are
quite adept at using tools even. They usually figure deterants out
fairly quick, so you should mix things up frequently. I personally
would use row covers, helps with insects too.