Old 18-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Franz Heymann

Default White 'flies' on my tomatoes

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Alan Gould at
wrote on 18/10/03 11:54 am:

In article , Franz Heymann

notfranz.
writes
Plants do not have stomachs and cannot digest organic matter. It
is also a moot point whether organic molecules, which tend to be

rather
large objects, can penetrate through the surface of the leaves into

the
interior of the plant.

Plants do not have stomachs, but they process dissolved nutrients into

growing medium, both through their leaves and through their roots.

They
also process light into plant food by photosynthesis.

I must say, I was a bit surprised at Franz's reply. Surely he's heard

of
foliar feeds?

Of course I have. I use them regularly. They consist of inorganic
compounds. Alan implied that plants could assimilate an infusion of
nettles, which is likely to be largely organic in its contents.

After a wee bit of reading to refresh my ailing memory, I have to say that
apparently plants can also absorb growth hormones through their leaves.

Franz