Old 18-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Sam Williams

Default [IBC] Trumpet Vine bonsai

Hello,

I basically want to experiment with it. See if it works. I really like
the trunk, it has some character. The waiting was because people have said
that vines often die down to the ground if the top and the roots are messed with
too much at the same time. I just want to take precautions. As to me
confusing it with poison ivy- not a chance! lol. I would hope no one would confuse
these two vines!

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have quite a few trumpet vine around my house. They can grow as much
as 15 feet in a year. I have never considered them for bonsai as they
have a compund leaf which is not normally chosen for bonsai as they are
quite large. As to putting it in a pot and taking a shot at it, go for
it. With a large trunk to work with anything can happen. As for waiting
for a year after the first pruning I don't see any real reason to wait.
When you dig it up take as big a root ball as you can handle. Pamper it
and baby it when you get it home or replant it in the ground when you get
it home. Then leave it alone for a year to let it heal. Remember that the
branches break quite easily.

Let us hope you are not confusing this with poison ivy

Good luck, Harry in Iowa

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++