Old 18-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Steveo

Default Cement guard against weeds

(Jim Butts) wrote:
I have a quarter circle garden in my front yard with one side against
my driveway and the other against the sidewalk. It contains white
rocks with a little juniper bush in the center. This garden is always
full of weeds and I'm not the type to do the work needed to keep it
weed free.

Last time I was fed up, I removed the rocks from the garden and then
laid down black matting which is supposed to block weeds. On top of
that I put mulch and then added white rocks on top. All that work did
not prevent weeds.

I use a low pressure roundup application 2 or 3 times every growing
season, along with a spring pre-emergent, on the areas I don't want to
string trim. Works in the beds too. Nothing is failsafe.

My thought this time is to remove the rocks and mulch and pour in
concrete - maybe 2 inches thick. Then I can put the white rocks on
top without the mulch.

Won't that just give you something else to trim around?

I am concerned for the plant in the center. I will want to leave a
hole for the plant. My concern is that the plant would be starved if
I don't make the hole big enough. Would the plant do fine as long as
its root system can dig down under the plant or would I need to give
it some breathing room?

I'd suggest moving that plant. Sounds like it's in the way.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month