Old 19-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Sacha

Default Storing crocosmia corms

in article , Janet Baraclough at
wrote on 18/10/03 8:00 pm:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:02:40 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I distinguish crocosmias from montbretia, as
in 'quality plants with pleated leaves vs. spreading weed best suited
to hedgerows'.

Quite. In my previous garden we had montbretia :-( and crocosmia Lucifer :-)

Since moving to Arran's milder climate I'm on a dreadful crocosmia
binge, starting with "Emily Mackenzie" (large bronzy orange flowers with
a brown blotch) and going on to the many yellow ones which are more
refined. I'd never realised before how varied and pretty they can be.

Janet.

Ray is developing one which we hope will be licensed and propagated. It
will be C. 'Tamana'. It's developed in our garden as a sport but what the
cross is we have no idea. The flowers are very large and what is nice, it
flowers later than Lucifer. Once we are allowed to sell it, I'll send you
some! I love Crocosmias because they always make me think of my grandfather
- his garden had masses of montbretia.
Do you also grow Salvia confertiflora? It's in flower now with us and has
been for some time. It can be tender in a bad frost but that and Salvia
involucrata have come up with us over and over again in recent winters.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk