Old 19-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Storing crocosmia corms

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:02:40 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I distinguish crocosmias from montbretia, as
in 'quality plants with pleated leaves vs. spreading weed best suited
to hedgerows'.

Quite. In my previous garden we had montbretia :-( and crocosmia
Lucifer :-)

Since moving to Arran's milder climate I'm on a dreadful crocosmia
binge, starting with "Emily Mackenzie" (large bronzy orange flowers with
a brown blotch) and going on to the many yellow ones which are more
refined. I'd never realised before how varied and pretty they can be.

Janet.

I too have had a rather uncontrolled Crocosmia spree this summer. I like
the yellow ones too: they are rather delicate, neat and upright. I've
also indulged in 'Severn Sunrise' which has some unusual pinky shades at
certain points in the flower development Then I got 'Carmin Brilliant'
which is quite small but a kind of tomato sauce red, 'Spitfire' which I
bought at Inverewe and 'Emberglow' as well as 'Emily Mackenzie'. I
didn't much like 'Emily Mackenzie' at first as the flower seemed over
large but it has surprised me by going on and on flowering and being
really good value that way.
I'm hoping they survive the winter. I've had two different yellowish
ones for two or three years now and they seem quite hardy, but I shall
be watching the new ones anxiously.
I also have a very large Crocosmia, which I bought years ago as
'Lucifer' but which is bigger (up to nearly five feet) and less red. I
have at last identified it this year as the species, C. paniculata. I
like it very much even though it flowers rather briefly and later lolls
around rather. If anyone would like to try a few corms I'm sure I could
find some - or perhaps it's more common than I realise. Interestingly
I've seen it growing quite well north in Scotland but hardly at all
round here in Lincs.
I've often wondered about the effect of cutting foliage down before it
fully browns, but never risked it. Does anyone routinely cut the foliage
back when it begins to sprawl?

Janet G