Old 19-10-2003, 02:42 PM
George

Default Acorn in water

Iris,

When the gutters become full of acorns and other stuff, the downspouts
get clogged. Small trees start to grow in the gutters.
These evidently arise from acorns that sit on *good* material?

When I clean this junk out, I don't remember seeing any gray mold. I
would think some of these acorns were fully submerged in the water, as
in my experiment. Does the mold have predators?

George

(Iris Cohen) wrote in message ...
Do you know where the mold comes from and why it forms - does it eat the
acorn?

Mold spores are everywhere. They are in the air and land on everything. If you
look in a very damp spot on the wall and see black spots, those are the spore
containers of the fungus.
As you have seen, some fungi grow right in water. When the spores land on a
likely spot, they sprout and start growing. The fuzzy hairs that you see are
called hyphae. That is the fungus's growing stage. You might say that the
fungus eats the acorn. It breaks down dead plant tissue (and other substances,
like paint and fingernails). Actually, fungi are providing a very important
service by doing this, when they do it in the right place. The ones that attack
live tissue are dangerous.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."