Old 19-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Storing crocosmia corms

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Ray is developing one which we hope will be licensed and propagated. It
will be C. 'Tamana'. It's developed in our garden as a sport but what the
cross is we have no idea. The flowers are very large and what is nice, it
flowers later than Lucifer. Once we are allowed to sell it, I'll send you
some!

Yespleasethankyou:-)
Do you also grow Salvia confertiflora? It's in flower now with us and has
been for some time. It can be tender in a bad frost but that and Salvia
involucrata have come up with us over and over again in recent winters.

Yes, great foliage, huge spikes of red flowers and it goes on and on.
Do you have it in the ground, and if so do you mulch it? Mine is in a
big pot, so will need some good protection for winter. I meant to get
some cuttings going but never got round to it.I've not got involucrata
but have some other red one, raspberry something? planted in the ground;
I'm wondering whether to mulch it with fine gravel for winter or if even
that would be perilously damp round the crown.

Another new-to-me is salvia leucothoe, in the ground, which is getting
a bit battered by autumn wind, but the bits that blow off have rooty
ends so I can pot them up. Brodick castle gardens has a huge salvia
guaranitica in deep blue flower atm, must be 7ft tall and almost as
wide.

Janet.