Old 20-10-2003, 01:12 AM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Default Got my Guppies

"Keng" wrote in message
om...
I wouldnt worry about the fry too much. I had 2 guppies which became
one. The female that was left behind kept producing babies long after
the male was gone. I guess she stored the 'good stuff' for a rainy
day. I finally ended up putting her in a bucket of water...and
now...many moons later, there are about 30-40 of them in the bucket. I
noticed that feeding the fish regularly and keeping the water fresh =
more guppies.

Good luck.

Livebearer females can store sperm for quite some time (up to six months the
last I heard). One successful mating can produce several batches of fry.
This is to assure the survival of the species. I've also heard that if there
are only females around for long periods of time, one or more of the females
will develop into males to assure the species continues . . . I forget
offhand where I read this, but was rather surprised when I did.

^*^ Vosklady ^*^