Old 20-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Dead Ficus :-(

Jay 50 is not normally a terribly low temperature but for a stressed tree it
may have been enough.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
Jerry Meislik wrote:

Its hard to know what went wrong but the cold may
have shut the tree down, and with a wet soil around the roots this may have
doomed the tree. My experience is that figs may not look like they are
having a problem after chilling them down but they often almost go dormant
and show no growth. A wet soil under those conditions is not good.

Thanks, Jerry -

Heeding your previous advice about this, I got my trees in before it got cold.
My practice has been to bring them in if night time temperatures are expected
to drop below 50 F. Is this too cold? All of my other trees are fine (knock
wood). Maybe the stress of this, or the transition to the much drier indoor
environment, or both, was more than a recently layered tree could survive. I
think that the wet soil was a consequence of non-functioning roots. I had been
watering it normally, and had not noticed a problem, although thinking back it
seems that it had not dried out as much as usual in the day or two before I
left for the weekend.

shrug...

Jay

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++