Old 20-10-2003, 04:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Plant suggestions Please

"A Dizzy Blonde" wrote in message

I now desire to plant something with huge unwieldy canes attached to

which
would be long and razor sharp thorns........any suggestions for a

plant not
out of place in a bed of camellia and azalea under the shade of a

frangipani
in the Perth climate? My first thought - bougainvillea is not a

suitable
plant for the spot.....though it would please me to plant one just for

the
ouch factor.

A (not always) Dizzy Blonde

Bouganvillea would do the job and it grows quickly but you will have to
trim it 2 or 3 times a year which isn't fun.

How about a native shrub that has thorns?

Such as:

ACACIA colletioides (spine wattle)
Flower............. Winter/spring
Propagate....... Seed
Height 4m
Dense dome-shaped prickly shrub with a stiff main stem and flattened
leaves and very sharp prickly thorns making this an ideal stock-proof
hedge. Large golden ball flowers.

David