Old 20-10-2003, 06:02 AM
The Hoopeses

Default Danger to pets

"oldmolly" wrote in message

"The Hoopeses" wrote in message

It is the theobromine in chocolate which can kill. It causes damage to

the
nervous system I think and they end up having a heart attack or seizure.

In
any case, I dislike chocolate myself . Chocolate is poisonous to many
species of animal and birds, not just dogs.

Yes. The vet told me the stuff can't be digested by a lot of animals, so
instead of just giving the little "high" of satisfaction and going its merry
way, as it does in humans, it stays on in the animal causing an
ever-increasing stimulation. She told me that was what brings on the
tremors, seizures, and death. It's the animal's liver which can't filter
out the chemical. My dog, unfortunately, had a passion for chocolate. She
was bad, bad, BAD when it was around.

-
Al