Old 20-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Håkan Bengtsson

Default [IBC] Washing roots

Thanks for your reply. My intent was not to wash the roots just for the
sake of it. I never do. But is good to know in a worst case scenario. I´ve
read in some books and magazines that you should NEVER eliminate more than
1/3 of the soil on a japanese white pine and was wondering if NEVER was a
too strong word.

Cincerely

Håkan

Hakan:

I would not "wash" the Japanese White Pine root pad for the sake of simply
washing it. If the tree is healthy, do not tempt success. Rake out the

roots
on the sides and on the bottom, trim as required, add fresh soil, and move

on
to the next project.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano