Old 20-10-2003, 04:34 PM

Default OT - house spiders

I have not reached a stage whereby my phobia causes a problem for me. If I
had to deal with them daily, I would have treatment. Now I simply shut a cat
in the room and go away for half an hour.

This is the crux of it I think (of all the postings I've read over the
last year and this one causes me to first post as a newbie!), that is
- whether it causes a problem for you.

I'm also quite happy with all the spiders in the garden. The big ones
live in and around the compost bin, and I can deal with that - sort
of. But when they starting coming in the house - usually about this
time of year I hate it.

Apparently they don't like oil of cloves - but how true this is I
don't know. I don't mind the smell myself so have used it in the
en-suite bathroon, but if some people have another phobia of dentists
they may not want to use oil of cloves :-)

So I am trying the desensitisation process gradually myself, but it's
slow progress. I thought I was getting much better (being able to go
into the garage on my own etc. until one night when one of the huge
ones decided to descend from the roof inside the car and walk onto the
dashboard whilst I was driving. I had to slam on and jump out of car
and walk home in tears (only round the corner thankfully). I was in
tears for hours both from the shock and being upset with myself that I
could have easily killed either me or someone else.

I have been dreading this time of year, but so far - nothing.

G.