Old 20-10-2003, 07:12 PM
David Ross

Default Rooting mums

JNJ wrote:

Anyone had any luck rooting mums? I had a branch fall off so I put it in
some water to root it and all I appear to be getting is a dead branch.

Take fresh, green shoots.

Mix equal amounts of peat moss and sand; use "washed" plaster sand
(coarse with no dirt). Moisten the mix, but don't get it soggy.
Put the mix in a flower pot. Poke holes in the mix slightly
larger than the 'mum stems.

Cut fresh, green 'mum shoots. Remove the leaves from the lower 2
inches of each shoot. Using a very sharp paring knife against a
piece of wood, cut about 0.5 inch off each shoot, immediately
dipping the bottom 1 inch in water. Then dip the trimmed shoot in
rooting hormone powder.

Plant each shoot in a hole in the mix. Water to settle the mix.
Cover the shoots with a large glass jar, or use a large plastic
bag supported with sticks in the pot.

About half the cuttings will take. While the success rate is
better for dividing a 'mum's base, the resulting plants seem to be
more vigorous from cuttings.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean