Old 21-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Steve

Default experience with Scarlet Runner Beans

While we're on the subject of Scarlet Runner Beans...
I grew them for 2 or 3 years bout 20 years ago. There are varieties that
have been selected for tender very edible beans. They produced a steady
crop of beans all summer (once they started).
I'm writing because I read that these runner beans actually produce a
tuber and would be perennial where the ground doesn't freeze. I believe
I read that these tubers could be saved and replanted in the spring to
produce a faster growing plant next year compared to starting over from
seed.
Does anyone know about this? If not, maybe one of you could dig up a
plant after frost kills it and see if there really is a tuber down there.

Steve in the Adirondacks