Old 21-10-2003, 03:02 AM
zhanataya

Default Wandering Jew

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:09:04 GMT, "Burp" wrote:

Funny story. Was in home depot with a co-worker. I was getting a pot for
some cuttings from a wandering jew plant. He asked why do they call it a
wandering jew plant I didn't know, so why do they call it that? Seems like a
bad name in these politically correct times is there a better name?
The plant I have is called a tradescantia zebrina.
Does anyone know how tall then can get? Goggle didn't help.
Can they get full sun like outside?
If I have a 10 inch pot about how many cuttings can I place in a pot? Does
each cutting make a new plant or do I need four or five in one pot so that
it looks bushy?

Well we've wandered for almost 5000 years. That particular plant when
planted in the soil will wander all over the garden and not root like
most running plants will. (That's probably the association with the
Jews) Maybe for PC people it is a bad name. It doesn't offend me.
It won't get tall. If you put cuttings in a pot (about a dozen in an
8" pot and keep them clipped it can get bushy. But it won't be a
satisfactory bushy like a pothos if that is what you are looking for.
Pretty colors and can look lush if it doesn't get too much sun.

zhan