Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default How To Stop Clogging Pond Pump

The nicest way is to get the pump out of the pond, see *My Filter*. )
In the meantime, an easy fix is to encase the pump inside two LARGE mesh
plant baskets (an example of a smaller setup is on page 7, scroll down to
lower left corner picture after clicking on *My Pond Photos* at
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/). Larger baskets can be purchased from
www.aqua-mart.com, I used plastic zip ties to attach the two baskets
together. Do not put any media in the baskets with the pump, this set up
will keep your pump clog free all season, yet gives enough surface area
that water can always get thru. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On 20 Oct 2003 14:54:38 -0700, (Chester Deja) wrote:

I have a 5000 gph pump on my pond that feeds my waterfall. At the
height of summer when all the algae blooms the pump gets clogged. I
do not want to burn the pump up so I am looking for some ideas for a
pre-filter or something that will keep the majority of debris away
from the pump itself. I have considered a container but with such a
large pump I do not want to restrict the water flow either - I could
easily burn it up that way too. Any ideas appreciated.

Rick