Old 21-10-2003, 06:02 AM
JNJ

Default Help with spiders, please!

Sorry to pile on but the spiders you have may just be a blessing in
disguise. They are very useful in catching pesty insects like ants,

roaches,
mosquitoes, flys, moths, etc. Eliminating your spiders may make your house

haven for other insects. Think about it: if those insects cant go into

your
neighbor's homes, guess where they will end up. Unless posonous, an

eyesore
or grossly big, what pain do they cause.

Although I do nothing to discourage our rather large spider population here,
one thing is for certain -- they do NOTHING for mosquito control. We have
had a major mosquito problem this year and even with a bazillion spiders.
Seems the wolfies have been pretty prolific in the garden this time
around -- I've been finding the little buggers everywhere this year.

I'm on the fence about their use as a fly deterrent -- I was actually bitten
by a small fly a few days back. Couldn't believe it -- I've NEVER been
bitten by a fly before and this thing actually drew blood!

An interesting item in tangent to this thread -- since cooler weather has
moved in over the last couple of weeks, I've seen a sharp decline in the
spider population as well as most other insects naturally. Surprisingly,
we've also seen several crane flies flitting about in the yard (and the
house for that matter) which is a change -- before now we'd rarely if ever
seen one over here, although I did see a bunch in a grassy field across the
street (used to be a house but it was torn down back in the spring).

Oh well -- going back to lurk mode.

James