Old 21-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Neil

Default Growing Coconut Palm Trees in Southern California

There are squat cocos (Samoan I think)
Neil

"hermine stover" wrote in message
On 19 Oct 2003 10:20:44 -0700, (James Lynx)
wrote:

I know that growing coconut palms in Southern California just don't
work if you grow them outdoors or even indoors in a house but have any
of you grown one successfully in a greenhouse in Southern California?
If so how tall did it get and did it fruit? I grow pineapples and
bananas with success but wondering about coconut trees?

Thanks,

James

the problem is tht they so quickly outgrow the heights of even a tall
greenhouse. i know somebody who then laid the palm on its side, and it
began to grow up at right angles to the original trunk...but you can
only do this so many times before you have a very heavy and unwieldly
palm. Bananas and Pineapples are much easier in S CA. By the way, the
search for a microclimate somewhere in S CA where a person could grow
a coconut palm is a big deal to some palm enthusiasts.

hermine