Old 21-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Wandering Jew

"Burp" wrote:

Funny story. Was in home depot with a co-worker. I was getting a pot for
some cuttings from a wandering jew plant. He asked why do they call it a
wandering jew plant I didn't know, so why do they call it that? Seems like a
bad name in these politically correct times is there a better name?

-snip-

Is there a superstition in your part of the world that says it is bad
luck to own that plant without naming it?

I don't know if it has to be named after a Jewish person, but that
seems to be the trend in the Catskill mountains of NY. I've run
across several 'Nate Simons' who all were named after an itinerant
peddlar who had a horse & cart full of goodies that he sold in the
1930-40's. [a generation before my time]

Jim