Old 21-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim W

Default Cold Snap for the UK

Bob Hobden wrote:

Still, what a spring/summer/autumn we have had.

Won't know until next spring how many plants/trees have died through lack of
water.

As a followup I spotted this in Hortweek

//
Jim

Horticulture Week
http://www.hortweek.co.uk/news_story.cfm?ID=478
Tuesday, October 21, 2003

October 16 2003
London suffers at hand of drought
Parks suffer tree loss and damage after summer of 'drought'

At least 300 mature trees across London's parks have died during the
summer's hot weather and many more have been damaged, according to a
report published by the Royal Parks this month.
Trees have been affected by record-breaking temperatures and large areas
of parkland have been left scorched and barren. Hyde Park was
particularly affected because of the added stress of large crowds
attending concerts and demonstrations. Restoration work to the parks is
expected to run to hundreds of thousands of pounds and Hyde Park alone
is expected to need more than £250,000.
The Royal Parks has reacted by creating a working party to look at
planting species that will be better suited to hotter conditions.
Royal Parks representative Theo Moore said: "Many trees find it hard to
survive droughts, so it is sensible to consider more plants that enjoy
hotter climates."
Royal Parks deputy chief executive Mike Fitt added: "We're not suddenly
going to replant the parks - it is something we have to think about for
the future, which is why we have set up a working party."