Old 21-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default My Veggie Garden

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:24:19 -0400, "Bill"
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:00:11 +0000, Kane wrote:

www.myveggiegarden.com

I notice that you advise against adding either human or animal feces to a
compost pile, citing disease as your reason. Where, oh where, did you get
that information?

Actually, the recommendation is against human and pet feces. Large
animal feces, properly composted, is widely used and no organic
gardener would dream of doing without composted sheep, horse, or cow
manure in the mix.

Properly composted is the trick. Pathogens can survive most composting
methods. Pets can carry human pathogens and humans are susceptible to
some of the same pathogens as pets. As spores, pathogens can survive
extreme condition for a long time. While hot composting is better than
cold for destroying pathogens, temperature is at least as important as
time. Unless steam is coming off the compost, it's not hot enough.
Think about it. The heat is caused by the activity of microorganisms.
If they can survive those temperatures, so can some pathogens,
especially as spores.

I understand the recommendation to not use sewage sludge (Dillo dirt)
on a vegetable garden is due to the possible presence of chemical
contaminants. It is treated to kill pathogens. But a number of years
ago, I used sewage sludge on a flower bed and several tomato plants
sprang up. The seeds had survived composting and treatment!

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor