Old 21-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Broom Corn

On 10/21/03 12:58 PM, in article
, "FarmerDill"
wrote:

So, is it trying get set for an other year?
Cheryl

Not sure what you mean. but the grain can be combed out of the seed head and
planted the following year. The seed heads minus the seeds were used for
making brooms. Even store bought brooms were made with broom corn before the
inundation with plastics. The plant is similar to a grain sorghum and will not
stand frost.

Thanks - the last line answered my question. I had never seen an annual put
out what looked like new rosettes. And they seemed shrug off the light
frosts I've had so far! Haven't been out much since the hard frost.

I really loved the effect of those stalks and seed heads in the garden this
year and will grow them again next year! My other big winner was Jewels of
Opar - like tiny rubies in the sun!
Cheryl