Old 21-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Glenna Rose

Default My Veggie Garden

writes:

I understand the recommendation to not use sewage sludge (Dillo dirt)
on a vegetable garden is due to the possible presence of chemical
contaminants. It is treated to kill pathogens. But a number of years
ago, I used sewage sludge on a flower bed and several tomato plants
sprang up. The seeds had survived composting and treatment!

My husband worked on site in the engineering office of a city agency for
many years. They always had tomato plants growing around the "pond"
because the tomato seeds were so "durable." Apparently, it takes a lot to
keep tomato seeds from surviving and sprouting, unless, of course, you
want them to grow. g

Glenna