Old 21-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Vegetable garden

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:
In article ,
(Stuart Forbes) wrote:

Also, I realise this is a bad time of year to start, but if there's
anything I can plant now, I'd welcome any suggestions!

You'll be given lots of advice about preparation but it looks so BORING
you'll probably be totally put off. You want to plant something NOW and
so you shall, or nearly.

Clear a small area. It's too late to use weedkiller or some of the
alternatives so dig weeds out as best you can.

Check the pH and if it isn't weird, dig in loads of multipurpose
compost.

In early November, sow a winter hardy Broad Bean. Try "The Sutton". I
expect you get a lot of serious frost in Edinburgh so cloche them.

Yes, can't fault that. There are some root vegetables ISTR which you
plant in the autumn.

There was a small ad in the local shop offering eight detachable
double-glazing elements 'to a good home'.

The trouble is, four of them will fit my windows. Bang goes a really
*BIG* cold frame.

You should see shoots before Xmas and the sight may inspire you to
prepare more ground ...

Yes, there is no spur to enthusiasm like actually actually seeing results.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk