Old 21-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Dennis Clark

Default Evaporation rate guesses

LYNN FORRES wrote:

I thought that I'd chip in here on this. We just built a 7000 gallon pond
with two waterfalls, one that splashes a lot (but not much leaves the pond)
with an upper pond of 8x10 ft (more or less) and then a ledge waterfall to
a lower pond that is 13.5' x 14.5'. It appears that I'm losing about an
inch every 3-4 days which is about 172 gallons. If I have any leaks, I'll
never know because the main drain is a three inch pipe that is under the
four foot deep concrete main pond - I'll never see that space!

Does this rate seem reasonable? I'm in Colorado where the average relative
humidity is less than 20% and I have very little cover for the water (it is
new) and the wind is unblocked by trees.

What is the consensus for my losses?

thanks,
DLC

: I'm in New Braunfels, with a 700 gal pond - adding about 30 gallons a day.
: Hope that is helpful.

: "graham" wrote in message
: . ..
: I have a 1400 gallon pond with about 140sf of surface area and a 5 foot
: water fall. With the heat and humidity we have had the past two weeks I am
: replacing about 60 gallons a day with the fall running.
:
:
:
: "bob carwell" wrote in message
: m...
: Could somebody at least give me some very, VERY rough guesses as to on
: average how much water I might have to replace due to evaporation for
: a pond. I have seen threads and understand it is very complex with
: all sorts of equations, variables of relative humidity, amount of
: splashing, surface area, etc., etc. but I just need to get a rough
: handle on how ambitious to get. Some anecdotal real examples would be
: helpful. I'm currently looking at maybe a 10x15x2 ft. pond with
: perhaps a run of 75 ft. of water effects (mostly a small stream with a
: few little waterfalls) and a recirculating tank below. I'm in Austin,
: TX, and the water would get maybe 60 % sun during the day. I am
: clueless whether I'm looking at 10 gallons/month or 1000 or whatever..
: Thanks.
:
:

* Dennis Clark www.techtoystoday.com *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *