Old 22-10-2003, 03:02 AM
canuckistani

Default had poor garden

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message
I had a bad garden my first year this year.I think my land has to much

clay
and rock.

Sorry to hear but...'bad' as in how bad? A first year garden always is a
learning experience and that is the whole point of gardening, you never stop
learning. Too much clay and rock may seem like a negative but clay is not
half as bad a soil as most people think, it does retain moisture for a while
and it does contain nutrients. True, dried out clay is a write-off but most
clay soils are capable of growing a huge number of plants - and have for
centuries. As to rocks, when I see rocks in my soil I see drainage. There is
something Zen about forming a rock wall on the perimeters of a garden, a bit
at the time as you encounter them. OK, it's not a quick-and-easy solution
but if this is your own land, time is an investment.

So i tilled it up yesterday for next year and i want to dump on a
load of top soil on it this sat. for next year.I heard alot of different
ways to make it better next year.One told me to put leafs down before i

put
the top soil on.I'd like more advice if someone could help me.

There are as many suggestions and approaches as there are gardeners and none
are 'wrong' as such, it all depends on your soil, your location, climate,
your own expectations and objectives.

Most things i
read say i need nitrogen,phosphorus, and potassium, So how can i get all

of
these three to put on my garden for next year.

In a single word? Compost.
By adding biomass that will rot during winter, your soil will be ten times
better next year. Leaves, grass clippings. Manure, hot is ok for winter use,
to let the N percolate into that soil. Mostly, you want 'stuff' such as
straw, leaves, clippings so that earthworm activity is boosted, the soil's
microflora blooms and moisture retention is improved. Legumes like a winter
cover crop may not be feasible if frost kicks in within a few weeks so
leaves may be better, most people foolishly gather them and then dump them.
A soil that is being amended becomes balanced but again, it takes time.

By the way i'm in wisconsin.
That may not be your fault. We all end up somewhere, don't we...

Cold weather is on the way and another month it will be freezing. So

please
someone help me out.

thank you

I have made up this powerpoint thingie on soil nutrients that you may find
useful. Anti virus checked on the way out to your inbox.

You did not mention what you were/are growing, some plants do better in a
clay than others. There is a whole lot of variables in gardening, part of
the challenge.
Hope this is useful.

John in Victoria BC Canaduh

http://www.renaissancegardens.com/