Old 22-10-2003, 06:32 AM
kettlink

Default new zealand kiwi fruit

In April last year I planted some seeds from an over ripe grocery store
fuzzy kiwi, they grew about a foot tall by the end of the year and
wintered over during last year's severe winter. This year I have 10
vines with main stems almost a half inch in diameter and which have
twined around a wooden trellis I built. They're about 15 feet tall,
very exotic looking with their hairy red stems and lush foliage. My
question is, last year I simply mulched the vines under a leaf pile to
protect them- but I didn't really care if they survived; this year I've
grown attached to them, but I have no idea how to get them through our
New York winters. Should I lay the trellis on the ground (with vines)
and mulch them with hay- maybe with a top-dressing of soil? Does anyone
have experience growing fuzzy kiwi fruit outdoors in climate zone
6-7? -Ken