Old 22-10-2003, 08:12 AM
groovy

Default Evaporation rate guesses

With my pond the evaporation is due to a constant sea breeze so I
get through about 3 inches a week which is about 120 gallons. This is
without any waterfall. When the wind blows and the sun shines, my
solar fountain just pumps the water straight out of the pond and I get
through 3 inches a day until I do something about it.

"Dennis Clark" wrote in message
LYNN FORRES wrote:

I thought that I'd chip in here on this. We just built a 7000 gallon

pond
with two waterfalls, one that splashes a lot (but not much leaves the

pond)
with an upper pond of 8x10 ft (more or less) and then a ledge waterfall to
a lower pond that is 13.5' x 14.5'. It appears that I'm losing about an
inch every 3-4 days which is about 172 gallons. If I have any leaks, I'll
never know because the main drain is a three inch pipe that is under the
four foot deep concrete main pond - I'll never see that space!

Does this rate seem reasonable? I'm in Colorado where the average

relative
humidity is less than 20% and I have very little cover for the water (it

is
new) and the wind is unblocked by trees.

What is the consensus for my losses?

thanks,
DLC

: I'm in New Braunfels, with a 700 gal pond - adding about 30 gallons a

day.
: Hope that is helpful.

: "graham" wrote in message
: . ..
: I have a 1400 gallon pond with about 140sf of surface area and a 5 foot
: water fall. With the heat and humidity we have had the past two weeks I

am
: replacing about 60 gallons a day with the fall running.
:
:
:
: "bob carwell" wrote in message
: m...
: Could somebody at least give me some very, VERY rough guesses as to

on
: average how much water I might have to replace due to evaporation for
: a pond. I have seen threads and understand it is very complex with
: all sorts of equations, variables of relative humidity, amount of
: splashing, surface area, etc., etc. but I just need to get a rough
: handle on how ambitious to get. Some anecdotal real examples would

be
: helpful. I'm currently looking at maybe a 10x15x2 ft. pond with
: perhaps a run of 75 ft. of water effects (mostly a small stream with

: few little waterfalls) and a recirculating tank below. I'm in

Austin,
: TX, and the water would get maybe 60 % sun during the day. I am
: clueless whether I'm looking at 10 gallons/month or 1000 or

whatever..
: Thanks.
:
:

* Dennis Clark www.techtoystoday.com

*
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003

*