Old 22-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jeff Anderson

Default new zealand kiwi fruit

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:21:54 GMT, kettlink
wrote:

In April last year I planted some seeds from an over ripe grocery store
fuzzy kiwi, they grew about a foot tall by the end of the year and
wintered over during last year's severe winter. This year I have 10
vines with main stems almost a half inch in diameter and which have
twined around a wooden trellis I built. They're about 15 feet tall,
very exotic looking with their hairy red stems and lush foliage. My
question is, last year I simply mulched the vines under a leaf pile to
protect them- but I didn't really care if they survived; this year I've
grown attached to them, but I have no idea how to get them through our
New York winters. Should I lay the trellis on the ground (with vines)
and mulch them with hay- maybe with a top-dressing of soil? Does anyone
have experience growing fuzzy kiwi fruit outdoors in climate zone
6-7? -Ken

My Australian "Yates Garden Guide" lists them as suitable for mild to
temperate climates but preferably in areas that don't have late
frosts.

Although I now live in a sub-tropical zone, I did have Kiwi Fruit
while living in further south, in Canberra and Victoria, both areas
with snow and frost during winter. Normally I just pruned them back
like a grape vine toward the end of winter, after the fruit matured
and they did the right thing come spring. Prune the laterals back to
to or three above the last season, thin them if it is getting too
dense.

New Zealand, the origin of the Kiwi Name, is a popular winter skiing
destination so I guess there is a chance that they could handle cold
winters without problem. They won't grow where I am now,
unfortunately, it is too warm for them.

They do need both a male and a female vine to bear fruit, and it takes
four years for the first fruit. That may pose a problem as you have
grown these from seed.

Regards

Jeff