Old 22-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Eucomis bicolor - overwintering

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "Kay wrote in message
:
: As to protection, I don't know. Mine are in the greenhouse, which is
: frost free, and usually 40 deg plus at least in daytime. I had a glut of
: them a few years ago and tried some outdoors - they lasted a couple of
: years.
:
: I know one gardener around here that does not dig his up for the winter so
: I'm not going to disturb mine either. :-)
: His seed around too! (so he says)
:
: p.s. my 8ft+ Dahlia imperialis (thanks Hill House Nursery) took last
nights
: frost without problem much to my surprise so you can never tell. All the
: Dahlias down the allotments died back because of frost a couple of weeks
: ago. I leave them in too year after year.(planted deep)
:
: --
: Regards
: Bob
:
: Use a useful Screen Saver...
: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
: and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.
:
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'm in Twickenham, not a million miles
from you Bob, so as it's now on the floor of the shed with other things I've
brought it, I think I'll leave it there unheated for the winter. I was also
interested in the seeds, so think I might see if they will propagate.

I was expecting frost last night but was delighted to hear it raining during
the night. Best time for it, and the garden is looking better already this
morning. Hooray :O))