Old 22-10-2003, 02:12 PM
animaux

Default Should I fertilize St Aug grass now?

On 22 Oct 2003 05:12:05 -0700, (jabee) opined:

"cledus" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

THE WEED & FEED MYTH

The only way a weed killer works is as a PRE-emergent so it must be
applied before the broadleaf weeds come up. In Austin that would be
February. The only way a fertilizer will work on St. Augustine is
when it starts to grow. Around here that is in April. This weed and
feed thing is a ripoff. If it seems too good to be true...

I agree that organic matter is the best way to have a great healthy
lawn. A 1/4 inch if good compost applied Spring and Fall will create
a lush lawn. As the grass gets thicker it will crowd out the weeds.

Some weed killer components do include broadleaf weeds, not only their seeds,
but even those are strong enough to damage or kill a tree. I've seen it happen.
To solve this whole problem, corn gluten meal used in the open window for
pre-emerging seedlings is the answer. Corn gluten meal also has 10% nitrogen,
so also serves as a very slow release fertilizer, adding organic matter to the
soil at the same time.

I've not used either of these methods. I mow the weeds before they went to seed
and now don't have weeds in the turf. Of course, there is clover, but I planted
that.